Thursday, September 8, 2011

Long Run

I am scheduled to run 9m as my long run this weekend in prep for the Phila half. I am also running the Staten Island half on 10/9 as a pre race so I need to be ready to run 13.1m for that date as well.

I love 9m. Here's why. It's easy to run. Sounds silly but its true. I walked out of work at 5:07 today which is a record by like 3 hours. I typically leave much later but made it clear given my impending trip tomorrow am that I needed to be out the door early for personal stuff. My personal stuff was running. Not packing, not organizing, not cleaning, not a manicure, but running. It was pretty muggy when I walked out of my office so I immediately nixed my plan of running from my house, doing a 5m loop and 2 reservoir loops before running home.

I ran at the gym.

For the long term blog followers, you know I love running long at the gym. I love it (I think) because its so controlled. I know how fast I am going, I can break up the run into smaller pieces more visibly, I can switch treadmills (a frequent strategy in prior marathon training seasons) and the best part ever- unlimited supply of water and bathrooms. Perfect for me.

I like to run 9,12,15 and 18m at the gym. I've done all of these in fact. I can remember 1x before we went to a wedding that I ran 18m at the gym because it was a monsoon outside. I can remember last Sept while in Vegas for a friends bday I woke up early to run 12m in the gym (for $35 an entrance fee).

I am a numbers person. I have slight OCD with numbers. I like running 3m. It's easy. It flies by. I ran 3 sets of 3m. It feels 10023 times shorter than running 9m and letting the mileage tick up on the treadmill. I ran at a steady 11:15 pace and did a hilly course. Well by hilly I should say mild hills. LOL. Average of 2.0. That's no hills, huh?

I stop the treadmill to reset after every 3m. Makes me chuckle when Im drenched in sweat and the treadmill says 2m (but I've really run 8). Let them stare, I say.

Saturday will be a short run in Michigan- looking forward to it!

No comments: