Monday, February 23, 2009

GWB run

Friday night I ran an easy 2 miles just to make up for not running on Thursday after my disaster of a novacaine experience.

Saturday was our GWB run. I was really excited to run somewhere different. I've realized that a lot of my running blocks/walls whatever are mental and I need to work on that. Saturday I took the cross town bus to 8th ave and then the E to 42nd and then the A to 165th and then ran/walked to 178th and St nicholas Ave. I'd never been up that far before on foot and never so far west. I found Nicole and we started our run. It was about 30 degrees and so freaking windy I thought I might get blown over the bridge.... honest!!! Once we got to the Palisades Park I was nervous but otherwise feeling strong.... Nicole ended up having to leave and I ran with Paige and Tanya. Loved the new company and loved that they conversed the whole time!! We ran about 15.25 miles (we know that because Paige had a GPS app on her Google phone) and I think we ran about 3 hours.... give or take, but again, I didn't care. I took 2 gels (caramel and double latte) and ate some pretzels in the middle that Ramon gave us. I drank a ton too which I think really helped. We walked up a bunch of the hills (they were STEEP!) but overall we did great.

There was a landslide apparently in the park so we had to climb for 5 min and then continue running- hysterical.

On the way back it did feel a lot longer, and we didd take a bunch of pics... but overall I feel like we finished strong. My knees were a little sore but I am goign to focus on strength training daily like I should have been. I was uber tired when I got home on Saturday... but i drank gatorade, waters, milk, beer etc... Was loopy that night and only slept about 7 hours which was definitely not enough

Very proud!!

mileage:
wk 1.4 19.07
wk 1.11 21.50
wk 1.18 9.90
wk 1.25 25.95
wk 2.1 10.00
wk 2.8 24.95
wk 2.15 21.25

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTG - I love biking over the GWB, but have never run it. The hills coming back out of the Palisades Park suck on the bike (real bikers probably love it, but I'm not there yet), but the view in the park is worth it. I've never considered trying to run it!

I'm looking forward to the NYRR 5k coming up on Sunday, which is in that neck of Manhattan.