Monday, August 29, 2011

Been a while and a bike story

So while I was MIA a few things happened. A lot of things didnt happen as well including a lot of my runs. It's been really hard to reprioritize. I also have been lethargic and a bit down lately which I believe to be an aftermath of packing on 10 lbs (really 15 but who's counting), stress and massive allergies. But that's enough about me, lets talk about running.

Pre hurricane Sunday I took a great class on Sunday am/pm. That followed a 6-mile run the day before on the treadmill (I am very proud of this run, let me tell you!! It's my longest run post surgery which in and of itself is pretty amazing. I felt fgreat during the run but I did do it inside on the treadmill. I know its not the same as running outside but I am still getting back into the habit and swing of things and really needed a not so terrible run, and that it was.

Anyway, Sunday I attended a green cyclist class. For those of you unaware, I bought a bike, Peppy, a gorgeous white Cannondale with pink trim and pink handlebars. Peppy and I however, are scared of one thing. Well two things really, riding and NYC. Fabulous since thats what I need Peppy for and where I live. Enter Green Cyclists. (http://greencyclists.org/ btw) with their Urban Cycling Class. It was a 3 hour long class which basically scared the fear out of me! I spent the first 90 minutes practicing skills and drills and turns etc (and clipping in and out which, yes I realize is ridiculous but hey if I'm going to have the bike, might as well look and act the part) and the next 90 minutes was spent riding one loop of the park (ex Harlem Hill) with Ben and then riding from Columbus Circle down Broadway through Times Square and to 30th street. At 30th street we turned and came up 8th Avenue. 8th Avenue has no bike lane. To say I was petrified doenst do it justice. But somehow, I did it, and I rode all the way home up Central Park West. To put it in perspecitve, that am, my boyfriend had to ride with me to the park and 'drop me off' as if I was in Kindergarden. Uhm yea, that's how afraid I was. I would HIGHLY recommend them as a biking source. They also have more advanced like classses which I assume are just as lovely.

With that I'll leave you with a picture of the day since as of late I seem to be into them!

chilling in times sq!

No comments: