Friday, August 6, 2010

Thursdays run

Today I slept until 8:15 am. WOWSAH! Thursdays are always long for me. If we dont have 8 am meetings (which we do 2-3x a month) I typically try to sneak in yoga with my favorite instructor She really is a great teacher for me. And I know we all will think different things about every instructor. I work until 6:15 when I race out to change and make it up to Urban Athletics on 92nd and Madison. Then I run from 7-830. If you think the day is done, you're wrong. I then hightail it in a cab (aka sit in traffic) down to Union Square where my dear friend Brandt works his magic on my dilapitated back and neck/legs/calves etc. Typically I get home at 10:15, unshowered, having not eaten dinner, and so tired I just want to lie on the floor and pass out.

Yesterday was one of those days. Long, hot, exhaustive. So yes, I slept until 8:15 but was at work today with breakfast by 9. Good job F train. You are my hero as usual. It really only takes 8 min from 23rd street to 57th street. It's amazing.

Anyway I digress. Last night we did tempo and 5k repeats at the 103rd street track. It's approx 330m or 0.20625miles. We were supposed to do 4 repeats at 5k pace, 4 at tempo and then 4 at 5k pace again. I struggle with that distinction but yesterday was really interesting because I realized my difference in pace is only a few seconds but it makes quite a difference in terms of sustainability. My splits were as follows:

warmup from 92nd and Mad to track: 16:01 for 1.59m
4 repeats at 5k pace:
1:39:88
1:37:67
1:27:84 (ran with the faster group here)
1:35:77

4 repeats at tempo pace:
1:26:43
1:27:75
1:29:39
(yes I know there are only 3 here, we screwed up)

4 repeats at 5k pace:
1:34:55
1:34:31
1:58:17 (total conk out here for some reason, had to walk, damn humidity)
1:42:0 (took it easy)

Run back to store cutting through the baseball fields at 100-97th street: 10:14 for 1mile approximately.

Ultimately I was happy with the workout. I was the most happy that I can be the tail end of the 2nd group. Last year that was by far my only goal and I never couldve done it. I am for sure stronger than I have been.

I skipped my scheduled arms/abs workout this am. I was exhausted and couldnt hack it. Like COULD NOT wake up. Happens, right?

Tomorrow Nic and I are going to run in the am. TnT is running at 8 am leaving from 52nd and Park but thats so late and I want to make it down the shore before afternoon. Sooooo we're leaving at 6:30 am, running down to the Brooklyn Bridge, back over and up summer streets and back down. I might hit the Queensboro bridge too, you know, know most of them out in one day :) 14m planned. I don't know though. Next week is the Bronx half and I desperately want to PR (2:20 is the time to beat) but I will be OK with a course PR (2:26- don't even ask!!!). I want to feel strong for it. HOWEVER, the wkd after the Bronx we're out of town so I want to only run shorter runs that weekend... so I kinda have to run my scheduled 14, huh?

Upcoming Runs:
this wkd: 14
next wkd: Bronx
Aug 21: 6 Friday, 6 Saturday
Aug 28: 16-17m GW Bridge run- love this run
Labor Day: 12m Friday, 6 Saturday (or a long run Friday? We're going away and I dont want to NOT run?!!?)
Sept 12: Vegas, treadmill run, Looks like it's going to have to be a VERY long aka boring run on Friday huh?
Sept 19: 18
Sept 25: 16
Oct 2: grete's gallop (hoping to PR)
oct 9: 18
oct 16: 16
oct 23: 12
oct 30: 8
NOV 7: PR :)

Thoughts?

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Sounds like a solid plan to me! I don't know how you do all of those things in one day. You are a beast. Just make sure you are getting enough sleep :) You will totally PR next weekend!!